- Peru is pronounced [P-uh-R OO]
- Peru is a country located in western South America, bordering the South Pacific Ocean between Ecuador and Chile.
- The Peruvian population is estimated at 30.7 million in 2016.
- Flashfloods and landslides of 2017 affected over 45,000 people and collapsed over 5,000 homes.
- Agricultural export is a tough industry in Peru. Women make up 65 percent of its workers, mostly those aged 21 to 33. They face long working hours, sexual harassment and exposure to dangerous chemicals, which puts their health at risk.
ABOUT OUR PARTNERSHIP
Trades of Hope partners with this group of artisans who are skilled in their traditional Peruvian handicrafts. By making these beautiful products they are providing for their families and given resources necessary to help them become financially stable and successful. These artisans are so thankful for the opportunity they now have to be a part of this group, which has empowered them and changed their lives!
THE ARTISANS: ELSA
Elsa loves her job with our artisan group in Peru and takes great pride in creating the products we order. One of her favorite things to do in her job is to create new samples.
In her words, “It’s something I look forward to creating the art that comes from within.”
She and her co-workers call it a blessing to be able to work from their homes, as their region can be dangerous. Elsa loves that she can involve her adult nieces in the process. They are so grateful they have the opportunity to simultaneously provide for their families while remaining home to care for them.
Since partnering with this artisan group, Elsa has grown more hopeful and has developed a plan with financial goals that will empower her towards a bright future for herself and her family.
ABOUT PERU’S SOURCES: